Tuesday, June 24, 2008

From the Heights to Wall Street

The honors just keep pouring in for In the Heights, the 2008 Tony winner for Best Musical.

On Wednesday morning, actor and composer Lin-Manuel Miranda will ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange. (No word on whether he's composed a rap for the occasion). A live webcast will be available beginning at 9:29 a.m. (a minute before the event) on NYSE.com. I work at night, so I'm normally just getting up at at that time, but I'll be setting my alarm clock and my DVR!

Unfortunately, the honoree doesn't get to ring an actual bell. According to this article from Fast Company, you press a buzzer that rings a bell at 9:30 a.m. to officially start the trading day. The opening bell ceremony is broadcast on two dozen networks worldwide and reaches 110 million viewers a day. Here's some more of the history behind the bell-ringing.

I'm not sure whether this is an annual event, but it should be. I couldn't find anything on the NYSE Web site about whether the cast of Spring Awakening received the honor last year. But the stars of Jersey Boys were invited in 2005. Maybe there's an unwritten rule that your show has to be set in the tri-state area.

No comments: