Monday, March 17, 2008

Fit as a fiddler


Thanks to BroadwayBaby, who left a comment on the post I wrote about seeing Fiddler on the Roof in Israel, I've learned that there's a U.S. tour of the musical planned for 2008-09.

Incredibly, it will star Chaim Topol as Tevye, the actor I saw on stage 10 years ago in Tel Aviv. Topol, who will turn 72 in September, previously played the role in London, in the 1971 movie version and in the 1990-91 Broadway revival, as well as many other locations around the world.

The Fiddler tour is being put together by Maryland-based Troika Entertainment, but I can't find a national itinerary. I have pieced together a few of the stops for 2009: Pittsburgh's Benedum Center Feb. 17-22; the Performing Arts Center in Durham, N.C., March 17-22; the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center April 28-May 3; the San Diego Civic Theatre July 14-19.

Coincidentally, some of these same venues will also play host to the national tour of Rent in 2009, featuring Anthony Rapp and Adam Pascal as Mark and Roger. Like Topol, they'll also be reprising their roles from the Broadway and movie versions of a hit musical.

I'm hoping Fiddler on the Roof will come somewhere closer to me. Since my Hebrew is far from fluent, I missed a lot the first time. It would be great to see the show again - this time in English. And I'll be able to say that I've seen an actor perform the same role in two different languages. How cool is that!

No comments: