Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Sondheim tonight!

Broadway's Henry Miller's Theatre officially becomes the Stephen Sondheim Theatre this evening with the lighting of the marquee on 43rd Street.

A group of Sondheim devotees made the renaming possible with a donation to the Roundabout Theatre Company, which operates the venue, in honor of the composer's 80th birthday.

Unfortunately, I can't be there for the ceremony but as a fan, I'd like to add my congratulations on this long-overdue recognition. I can't wait to see my first show at the Sondheim.

I have many favorite Sondheim songs and musicals but I'm very partial to Sweeney Todd and I love the clever wordplay in "A Little Priest." Despite the grim subject matter, I can't help but smile at Mr. Sondheim's wit.

2 comments:

Kevin Daly said...

It's really hard to pick, but I think "A Little Priest" may be my favorite.

Esther said...

Thanks for the comment, Kevin.

I think there are more beautiful Sondheim songs, love songs, songs with characters looking back wistfully on their lives.

But "A Little Priest" is so inventive. It really requires a tour de force performance on the part of two actors. It's grisly yet hilarious. And the play on words continues for almost the entire 7 1/2 minutes, quite a feat!