Friday, January 28, 2011

Man plans, God laughs

Man plans, God laughs.

Change the gender and that Yiddish proverb sums up my life. I've always had the worst timing.

I've been a regular theatergoer since 2007 and it's been a wonderful experience. I've grown to love visiting New York City and seeing shows on Broadway - and elsewhere. I treasure the friendships that I've made.

But unfortunately, I became a theatre fan at a point in my life when responsibilities made it tough to be away from home. And now, what little freedom I've enjoyed is going to be even more curtailed. Getting to any theatre anywhere, even in my hometown, will be more difficult.

My first blog post, in September 2007, was a review of The 39 Steps at Boston's Huntington Theatre Company. In an act of hubris, I bought tickets for two plays in Boston this winter. I won't get to see either one. Clearly, I had deluded myself into believing I could live a life that was simply beyond my reach.

Internet access will be spotty for awhile - I'm mainly relying on my iPhone for my link to the outside world. So this is probably a good time to take a break from blogging. Thank-you for reading and hopefully I'll be back.

In the meantime, when you're at the theatre and if the spirit moves you please take a moment before the music starts or the curtain rises to think of me. I wish that I could be there with you.