Saturday, December 29, 2007

A perfect double feature

I just want to kvell a bit over some good news this week about two of my favorite Broadway shows.

Playbill quotes a Variety story that "August: Osage County," Tracy Letts' masterful family drama, has taken in more than $3 million in advance sales. Producer Jeffrey Richards says that's "one of the largest advances of a straight play in recent history — and it's playing in one of the largest houses." The play is at the Imperial Theatre, which seats nearly 1,500, and it has an amazing cast from Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre Company.

I can't say enough how deeply this play resonated with me. And, more good news on the "August" front, Letts' play will come out in paperback on April 1. I can't wait to laugh again over some of his witty, biting dialogue.

Also, "Curtains," one of my favorite musicals, hit its 300th performance at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre on Dec. 28. This show is the final one from the legendary team of John Kander and the late Fred Ebb, the pair responsible for "Chicago," and "Cabaret." It's got a fun backstage murder mystery to solve, great music, great dance numbers and a wonderful cast, led by Tony winner David Hyde Pierce and Debra Monk. I've listened to the cast CD over and over.

If you're planning a trip to New York and you only have space for one musical and one play, "Curtains" and "August: Osage County" would make a perfect double feature.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Post. This Play is incredible. I am glad to hear that it will be in print soon. I will also be seeing it for the third time!!!! I've never seen a play three times. This is a home run for the Steppenwolf. As for the naysayers, anyone that doesn't like this play is an idiot.

Esther said...

Hi Richard,
Thanks very much for the comment! You're so lucky to be able to see "August: Osage County" for a third time. There are so many great lines, I really wish I could hear them again. I think this play will resonate with anyone who's ever been a part of a family. Even if your family isn't quite as dysfunctional, something will strike a chord.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther - You know where I come down on both shows. I loved them both.

But I have to say that August: Osage County really is one of those rarest of shows that has fully realized characters, witty script and a stellar cast.

I'm thrilled that others like you and Richard love it as much as I do.