Monday, June 1, 2009

It's Tony Week

In a few days I'll be heading back to New York City. I know, I know, I was just there. This will be my shortest turnaround time ever between trips - twice in three weeks.

But this one will be special - my first time experiencing the sights and sounds of Broadway during Tony week. I'm anticipating a little extra zing (or zip) in the performances, a little more excitement in the air. And it'll all culminate Sunday night, when I attend my first-ever Tony party. (Actually, I believe this will be my first awards party of any type.)

Usually, I'm by myself jumping up off the couch and cheering when one of my favorites wins. This time, I'll be watching the ceremony unfold on a big-screen tv, cheering on the winners with some of my friends and fellow bloggers. (Hopefully, they'll teach me some Tony drinking games that this Playbill article mentions.)

Two weeks ago, I saw two musicals and one play. This time, the lineup is play-heavy: Mary Stuart, Exit the King, Waiting for Godot, and Joe Turner's Come and Gone. (Good thing I got my Joe Turner ticket before President and Mrs. Obama went because it's now become a little bit hotter.)

Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any pre-Tony events for the general public while I'm there so I've been trying to think of a few theatre-related things I could do, besides going to shows, just to help put me in the mood.

Of course, there's the obligatory visit to The Drama Book Shop, because I like to stock up on theatre-related reading material and support independent, bricks-and-mortar bookstores.

Here are some others:

The Museum of the City of New York has an ongoing exhibit chronicling the history of Broadway and of theater in New York City. There are costumes historic photographs, drawings and other memorabilia, including a gypsy robe and Mrs. Potts' costume from Beauty and the Beast. I definitely need to check it out soon.

Both Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall offer tours. This year marks the 50th anniversary of Lincoln Center, so it's a great time to visit the performing-arts complex, which includes the Vivian Beaumont Theater, home to the Tony-winning revival of South Pacific. Of course, Carnegie Hall isn't a Broadway theatre but Broadway stars have appeared there and it's been the site of many musical-theatre gala events. Plus, it's America's most famous concert hall.

The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts, at Lincoln Center, usually has interesting theatre-related exhibits. I saw one last year on Songwriters and the Tony Awards. An upcoming exhibit on stage and screen star Katharine Hepburn looks great from the description. (Did you know her pet name for Spencer Tracy was "Pot"?) Unfortunately, it doesn't open until June 10, so I'll have to wait until next time.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Oooo, I'm so jealous! Have a wonderful time. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Esther said...

Thanks so much Pam. You know I'll be back with a full report!