Tuesday, July 1, 2008

An outsider again

In the USA Today blog Pop Candy, John Waters offers a little post-mortem on the demise of Cry-Baby, the second musical based on one of his movies to make it to Broadway, which closed on June 22 after 113 performances.

Why do you think Cry-Baby didn't translate to Broadway and Hairspray did?

"I never answer my critics, but a negative review in the New York Times on a Broadway musical is almost impossible to survive. And maybe the '50s are a little used up. ... I wrote a letter to the cast and everybody who was involved, and I basically said, "You know, the cliche is your productions are all like your children, and I like the one that causes the most trouble and is misunderstood." So I guess that would be Cry-Baby. You know, I was an insider, and now I'm an outsider again, so I have to thank them for that."

3 comments:

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Esther, John Waters will really never be an outsider again. He's contributed far too much to the entertainment mainstream to be found on the fringes again. But I have no doubt that's where he's happiest.

Esther said...

Yeah, you're right Steve, on both counts. I think Waters' comment probably reflects a little defensiveness over "Cry-Baby," which is totally understandable.

But I do have to take issue with his statement that it's almost impossible to survive a negative review in The New York Times. Plenty of Broadway musicals thrive despite negative reviews.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

You're right: Wicked, Mary Poppins, Grease...