Monday, December 22, 2008

Chanukah Suite

I've become a big fan of composer Jason Robert Brown's musical theatre scores from seeing productions of Parade and 13 and listening to the cast recording of The Last 5 Years.

You can get a great taste of Brown's music on his Web site, and I always find something interesting poking around there. For example, I had no idea he'd written the Chanukah Suite in 2004. Since the eight-day holiday began last night, it's perfect timing!

Here's how Brown describes the piece:

The Chanukah Suite was borne of two separate desires: 1) to make the celebration of Chanukah an exuberant musical experience that both draws on tradition and looks forward to new ideas; and 2) to write a piece for chorus which combined the "Broadway" idiom in which I most often work with more traditional liturgical choral techniques. Therefore, this challenging medley requires both a strict fidelity to the written rhythms and pitches and a real sense of spontaneity. When it's done in the right spirit, this piece should make Chanukah a powerful, soul-stirring, swinging, rock-and-rolling Festival of Lights.

You can listen to the Chanukah Suite here, in a 2005 performance by the Los Angeles Master Chorale. It's really cool. I love how Brown has taken several traditional holiday songs and turned them into a stirring 8-minute choral work. Don't worry that it's all in Hebrew. There's a translation.

And just in case you have any last-minute Chanukah or Christmas shopping left to do, here's Brown's holiday gift guide.

Happy Chanukah, everyone!

5 comments:

Dale said...

Happy Chanukah to you!! Merry Christmas to me!! If not peace on earth, then at least good music to enjoy.

Dale said...

I just listened to the Chanukah Suite, it was excellent so thank you Esther.

Is there anything so sublime as a chorus of voices? I've long loved a choir, even the bad one that tried to sing their way into heaven in the church of my childhood (led by a tone deaf nun).

Thanks again!

Esther said...

Thanks, Dale! I'm glad you liked it. And I agree, a chorus of voices is so beautiful, so stirring.

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Happy Hanukkah, Esther. Thank you for your gift of friendship.

All the best for a wonderful 2009.

Esther said...

Awww, thank-you Steve. I am so blessed by the friendship that you and the love of your life have given me. And thank-you for all of your Hanukkah wishes, including the very sweet one on your blog. I hope you're having a wonderful Iowa Christmas today. I wish you both a 2009 that's happy, healthy and filled with adventure!