Monday, December 15, 2008

Open mouth, insert foot

I wonder if Nancy Coyne regrets saying this to a New York Times reporter. I mean, the last thing New York City - and Broadway - need in the middle of a recession is to be seen as unfriendly to tourists. I'm sure she meant it tongue-in-cheek, but still!

“The last 15 years have been boom years for theater — I always expected the pendulum to swing, and I simply see this as a correction,” said Nancy Coyne, chairwoman of the theater advertising agency Serino Coyne. “The good news is that so many straight plays are now coming in the spring, and I think New Yorkers will come out for them once the tourists go away. We’re horrible snobs. We hate tourists from Cleveland.”

Just for the record, during all of my trips to New York City over the past 18 months, this tourist has found New Yorkers to be incredibly helpful and friendly. I've never detected a shred of hatred - just the opposite, people have gone out of their way to be nice. Although, I'm not from Cleveland.

9 comments:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

I don't agree with her specific words (although fighting to get through hordes of gawking tourists in midtown in December is just about the worst thing there is anywhere), but I think that there will be an upturn of more quality productions - quality vs quantity is definitely welcome. The tourists tend to like - and pay - for the flashy fluffy entertainment - while New Yorkers and descriminating visitors will pay for quality. There's no reason to not look at the coming months with a positive outlook, anyway.

Esther said...

I agree, Sarah. I'm definitely excited about what's coming up in the spring. I know there are at least another 12 shows I want to see!

Sarah B. Roberts said...

Are there even 12 shows coming?

Esther said...

Sure! This is my list so far. I know a few of these might be iffy, but I think most of them are coming. And there are probably a few off-Broadway shows I want to see, too:

9 to 5
Hair
West Side Story
Guys and Dolls
The Philanthropist
Waiting for Godot
Impressionism
Accent on Youth
33 Variations
Blithe Spirit
Mary Stuart
Joe Turner's Come and Gone
Reasons to Be Pretty
Hedda Gabler

Kevin Daly said...

I'd like to see them all too, but with a little edge toward "Blithe Spirit"

The addition of David Stratairn and John Goodman to "Waiting for Godot" sounds quite promising.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I was looking around all over the internet to see if there was any reaction AT ALL to her Cleveland comment.

I found it incredibly offensive, as a Clevelander who makes a point to read the entire New York Times arts and theatre section every day.

Esther said...

Hi Meredith,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

You're right, the statement was offensive and from my experience, it's certainly not indicative of how New Yorkers view tourists. I bet there's no rhyme or reason as to why she picked on Cleveland. My guess is she was talking off the top of her head and picked the name of a city out of the air.

I hope you get to come to New York and see some shows. You'll find that people are very friendly!

I've never been to Cleveland but I do have a friend who lives there now and someday I'd love to visit the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame!

Steve On Broadway (SOB) said...

Tourists play an essential and critical role in the ongoing success of Broadway. Without them, Broadway could not function, and we're starting to see the impact of their absence. Ms. Coyne's comments are demeaning and just plain ridiculous.

Esther said...

Exactly, Steve.