Monday, June 22, 2009

Audra McDonald, your lips are fabulous

I love this comment from the lovely Anne Hathaway, doing Shakespeare in Central Park through July 12, when the weather cooperates.

Hathaway, whose character in Twelfth Night is masquerading as a man, tells the women of The View what it's like to kiss costar Audra McDonald:

"We did a photo shoot yesterday and the photographer wanted us to kiss. So we kind of spent a good 15 minutes making out and I've never really focused on it before but Audra McDonald, your lips are fabulous. I mean they're just pillowy and soft. And I was just like, wow."

Here's Hathaway's appearance on The View:



And here's an article on the production from The New York Times:

“I have a double learning curve, not only because it’s my first time with Shakespeare but because this is my first major theatrical production,” Ms. Hathaway said. “So just staving off a nervous breakdown has been the main thing for me.”

Even though I'm not a big Shakespeare fan, the cast for this play really makes me wish I could make it to Twelfth Night. The whole Shakespeare in the Park experience sounds great - theatre under the stars, with a gentle summertime breeze.

I'll have to put it on my list of goals to accomplish next year.

4 comments:

Pam said...

I remember when Trinity used to do Summer Theater in the Park here in RI. It was great. That was my girls' introduction to Shakespeare (they were about 8 and 6 the first time) and they actually loved it. I was shocked. The last time we went was in 2002 at WAterplace Park. I don't think Trinity's done any Summer Shakespeare since then. What a shame and a loss for us.

Esther said...

Sadly for me, I wasn't a regular theatergoer back then, otherwise I would have gone. It does sound like fun.

Dale said...

Anne's refreshing isn't she? I saw Audra McDonald in the original Ragtime which began here in Toronto and was just recently in the same underused theatre for Jersey Boys thinking about her, Marin Mazzie and the rest of the cast.

Esther said...

Wow, you saw Ragtime?! I'm so jealous. (But happy for you.) I saw Audra in 110 in the Shade and hearing her sing live was incredible. What a voice. I hope to see the Ragtime revival which is heading to Broadway. I really love the novel and I've heard the cast recording. And hopefully I'll see Anne Hathaway on stage someday, too.