Friday, February 27, 2009

Nine in 2009

I know I'm woefully behind on my 2008 moviegoing but that doesn't mean I can't look ahead to the spring and fall of 2009.

Near the top of my list is the musical Nine, directed by Rob Marshall and featuring a whole stable of Oscar winners, including Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman and Sophia Loren. Whew!

I was thinking about Nine because it showed up as number 20 on The Film Experience blog's list of the year's 20 most anticipated movies, where Nathaniel called it "the rare stage musical that might be improved by bringing it to the screen." Some of the comments are more skeptical. You can check out the discussion for yourself.

I've never seen Nine on stage, never heard any of the songs, by Maury Yeston, but I have heard great things about the show, which won the 1982 Tony Award for Best Musical and the 2003 Tony for Best Revival of a Musical. (I wonder how often that's happened? I'll have to do some research.) And what a cast in the revival: Antonio Banderas, Chita Rivera, Laura Benanti, Jane Krakowski.

Coincidentally, Nine takes place in Venice, which I visited in 1982 and remains one of the most beautiful, unique cities I've ever seen. Plus, I have watched 8 1/2, the 1963 movie from Italian director Federico Fellini about a movie director struggling with problems in his personal and professional life.

The musical is scheduled to open in the United States on Nov. 25. A perfect after-turkey treat.

4 comments:

Sarah B. Roberts said...

I can't understand why Antonio Banderas wasn't cast in the movie. Yuck, I can't stand Daniel Day Lewis. He's so sleezy and creepy. At least the rest of the cast is exciting, except why couldn't they get Chita? Ugh. Anyway, maybe I can close my eyes and pretend its the sexy, exciting Antonio instead of the creepy. At least the original and revival cast albums are terrific.

Esther said...

Yeah, I love Antonio Banderas. I don't have anything against Daniel Day Lewis but most of his recent movies just haven't been my thing. And Chita Rivera, wow, it would have been incredible to see her on the big screen. Sadly, the actors who do the show on stage never seem to get considered for the movie version, even when it would be totally appropriate. (Like Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray.)

Kevin Daly said...

I'm curious to see how the show adapts to the screen since it's highly conceptual. However, it contains what is probably my favorite score of the 1980s. The original cast album was reissued in its entirety a few years ago. Starring Raul Julia, Karen Akers, the late Anita Morris, Tony-winner Liliane Montevecchi, it's required listening. I'm curious to see how it adapts.

Esther said...

Wow, your favorite score of an entire decade?! That's high praise. Of course, I don't know what the other choices are. ;-) But I've just heard so many of my fellow bloggers praise Nine, that I'm really looking forward to it. While it may be conceptual, it is based on a movie.